Alberto obtains his degree in Law in 1977 and is a PhD since 1983. Lawyer of the Registry of Intellectual Property, body to which he joined in 1978 by competitive examination. Ever since he has developed an intense professional career linked to Intellectual Property, both nationally and internationally.
At NATIONAL LEVEL he has been Head of the Patent Service of the SPTO, Director of the Resources Service, Deputy General Director and Director of the Legal Department and of International Relations and, finally, from 2008 to 2012 General Director of the SPTO.
Additionally he has been co-rapporteur of the Spanish Patents, Trademarks, Semiconductors and Design Laws and member of the Spanish team that dealt with the final phase of Spain's access to the European Union.
In the INTERNATIONAL scene he has represented Spain in the forums and International Conferences from 1980 to the present day. He has been a delegate in the Uruguay Round that created the new GATT, Spanish representative in the Board of Administration and Budget Committee of the European Patent Office (EPO) and the EUIPO (formerly, OHIM), Head of Delegation in numerous Diplomatic Conferences, both representing his country and representing the European Union. Among others, he has been acting in the different Diplomatic Conferences that prepared the European Patent, the Nairobi Conference on commercial treatment of the Olympic Symbol, the Washington Conference on Semiconductors and the Madrid Conference that created the International Trademark Protocol.
He has contributed to the preparation and development of European Intellectual Property Law, being part of the working groups that prepared the drafts of the different Directives and Regulations in this sector. And since 1984 he has been a regular consultant to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
From 1994 to 2004 he was Vice President of the Community Office in charge of the European trademark and design (nowadays EUIPO). Until 2005 he was member of the Board of Directors of the Translation Center of the European Union. And from 2012 to December 2018, he has been Vice President of the EPO.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law, University of Santiago de Compostela (1977)
- Law school at the University of San Francisco (1981)
- PhD, CUM LAUDE, University of Santiago de Compostela (1983)
- Award for Doctoral Thesis (1984)
- Professor of the University Robert Schumann, Strasbourg, France (2005-2013)
- Member of the Advisory Council of the “McCarthy Center for Intellectual Property and Technology Law”, University of San Francisco, USA (since 2001)
- Professor and Member of the Academic Board of the "Magister Lucentinus" (post-graduate specialisation course) at the University of Alicante (since 1994)
- Member of the Editor Council of Banking and Securities Law Magazine. Complutense University (since 1984)
- Professor at the University Complutense of Madrid (since 1980)
- Member of “Industrial Law Institute” of the University of Santiago de Compostela (since 1978)
Alberto is author of a number of papers, articles and books, and member of Editor Council from several IPR magazines.
Among his books (individual o collective ones):
- Practical Compendium on the protection of Industrial Property, (co-director), Madrid 2012
- Community Design. An approach to the legal regime of designs in Europe, Madrid, 1st Ed. 2003; 2nd Ed. 2005
- The community trademark system: standards, jurisprudence and practice, Madrid, 2000
- Trademark and consumer protection law, Madrid, 2000
- The Community Law of Industrial Property (2 volumes), Madrid, 1998.
- Comments on the Community Trademark Regulations (Coordinator) , Madrid, 1st ed. 199e; 2nd ed. 2000
- GATT and Industrial Property, Madrid, 1994
- Technology Transfer Contracts, Impiva, Valencia, 1991
- Comments to the Patent Law (Several authors), (2 volumes), Madrid, 1987
- Award “Spanish Civil Order of Isabel the Catholic” - Commander Class (2016)
- Award “Golden Cross to the merit of the Republic of Polonia” (2001)
- Title of “Comendador de la Orden del Mérito Civil” bestowed by His Majesty the King of Spain (1998)
David GómezManaging Partner — Madrid
Paloma ArribasPartner — Madrid
Juan Luis GraciaPartner — Madrid
Pedro Merino BaylosPartner — Madrid
Jose Antonio MorenoPartner — Madrid
Fernando RodríguezPartner — Madrid
Alberto CasadoOf Counsel — Madrid
Daniel JuárezOf Counsel — Madrid
Mauricio TroncosoOf Counsel — Madrid
Alodía CarmonaAssociate — Madrid
Ernesto CebolleroAssociate — Madrid
Patricia GuillénASSOCIATE — Madrid
Inmaculada HernándezAssociate — Madrid
Cristina IglesiasAssociate — Madrid
Mª Elena Juan SernaAssociate — Madrid
Sergio LópezAssociate — Madrid
Isabel MercadoAssociate — Madrid
María MolinaAssociate — Madrid
Helena SassoliAssociate — Madrid
Morgan SchaafAssociate — Madrid
Belén TomásAssociate — Madrid
Gloria ArroyoPARALEGAL — Madrid
Leticia CarrascoParalegal — Madrid
Virginia MartinParalegal — Madrid
Sonia RamosOffice Manager — Madrid
Raúl SánchezCHIEF OPERATING OFFICER — Madrid