TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE CONTEST
Who can participate?
- For the first category we are looking for SMEs or Start-ups with a presence in Spain, with less than two hundred and fifty (250) employees or established in the last five (5) years.
- The second category is open to any postgraduate student, as well as young lawyers who have graduated in any of the last ten (10) academic years anywhere in the world.
Aim and purpose of this call:
- Both categories are open to any academic work (of any discipline and scope, e.g. trademarks, patents, designs, copyright, new technologies, etc.), as well as any company idea, project or practice (e.g. experience in managing its intellectual property, brand management as a differentiating element of sustainability, development projects, corporate social responsibility, R&D&I, etc.) which can either contribute to improving environmental sustainability or serve as a lever to help overcome the situation created by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The winner of the first category will receive a voucher of up to twenty (20) hours of legal and strategic advice from BAYLOS for the development and planning of the company's IP portfolio, as well as a commemorative sculpture.
- The winner of the second category will receive a financial award for training and academic specialization in IP/IT of up to three thousand (3,000) Euros, as well as a commemorative sculpture.
Both winning projects will be published on the firm's website and shared via social media.
- Entries may be submitted in any format (written, photograph, drawing, video, etc.) that allows for the creation of the work in accordance with the creativity and originality of the participant.
- Given that, in addition to quality, originality may also be taken into account for the assessment of the prize, no predetermined criteria have been set with regard to the format. However, it is recommended that, in the case of written works, they should not exceed thirty (30) pages in length.
- For non-written projects, an explanatory report of the work must be submitted, including the conclusions by which it contributes to the purpose of the Award.
- All projects may be submitted in Spanish or English.
- They must all be originals, which have not been distributed or sent for distribution to any publisher or institution, nor submitted for any other prize or competition, in whole or in part.
How to submit:
- Whenever possible, the works shall be submitted by e-mail to the following address: email@example.com. If they are to be submitted physically, they should be sent to BAYLOS ABOGADOS, Calle José Lázaro Galdiano, 6 (28036 - Madrid).
- They must all include a brief CV of the author, in two versions: the first one, with the participant's personal details, and the second one, without any personal details.
- Participants must expressly declare their willingness to submit the project for the Hermenegildo Baylos Award, as well as their acceptance of the terms and conditions of this contest entirely.
- Once the work has been received, BAYLOS will confirm its reception and acceptance by e-mail. In the event of any formal deficiency, the participant will be notified and will have a period of five (5) days to correct it. If this is not done, the work will be considered as non-submitted.
- Participants may present their work up until 30 September 2021.
- It will consist of eight (8) members. Their identity will not be made public until the publication of the decision of the Award.
- The jury's deliberations shall be secret and its resolutions, including the award of the prize in its two categories, shall be adopted by majority vote, with the chairman of the Jury having the casting vote in the event of a tie.
- The Jury will evaluate the works submitted without knowing the identity of their authors. Authors must ensure that their identity cannot be known through the actual writing or preparation of their respective works.
- The Jury may declare the Award void if it considers that no nomination is sufficiently meritorious.
Announcement of the winners:
- The Jury's decision will be known before 1 November 2021. It will be published immediately on the BAYLOS website, as well as publicized via social media.
- The awards will be presented at a public ceremony to be held as soon as possible. The winners agree to attend the event that BAYLOS will convene for this purpose and to collaborate in all activities to promote the Award.
- Data controller: BAYLOS LEGAL ADVISOR 5.0., S.L.
- Purpose and legitimacy basis: Management of the Hermenegildo Baylos Award, identification of authors, confirmation of participation requirements, communication of winners, invitation to the prize-giving event. The data will be processed on the basis of the consent given by the participants.
- Conservation period: Participants' data will be kept until the prize is awarded and up to five (5) years thereafter. The winner's data will be published on the website and other media that record the concession of the Award for an unlimited period of time.
- Exercise of rights: Participants may exercise their rights of access, rectification, deletion, portability and limitation or opposition by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating "exercise of data protection rights". They may also file a complaint with the Spanish Data Protection Agency agpd.es.
- Participation in this call for applications implies the full acceptance of all its terms and conditions.
- BAYLOS will maintain absolute confidentiality regarding non-winning entries and their authors.
All non-winning entries may be collected from BAYLOS headquarters.
In order to participate in the category of young lawyers who have graduated in one of the last ten (10) promotions, it will not be a requirement to have passed the Bar exam.
BAYLOS will not pay the award in cash for the training and specialization grant, instead it will make the payment to the academic or training institution designated by them within two (2) years of the award being granted. As the only exception, BAYLOS will cover payments already made by the participants, provided that they are duly justified and have been made from 1 January 2020 onwards.
- BAYLOS will deduct, if applicable, the corresponding withholding tax from the prize awarded, in accordance with current tax legislation.
- Winners of the Award undertake not to distribute their work through any media for two (2) years from the date of its delivery, transferring exclusively during this period of time all the exploitation rights over it to BAYLOS.
- BAYLOS has the right to amend these terms and conditions if there is good reason to do so. Any such modifications will be published on the baylos.com website.
- BAYLOS may publish a shorter version of these terms and conditions in order to facilitate the promotion of the Award. Such publication will be for information purposes only.
- Any doubts as to the interpretation of these terms and conditions will be settled in accordance with the criteria of the Jury.
- These terms and conditions are subject to Spanish law. Any conflict that may arise between the participants competing for the Award and Baylos shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts of Madrid, with express waiver by the former of any other jurisdiction that may correspond to them.